Pioneering is the ability to create camp gadgets and structures using poles and rope. It’s one of the oldest Scouting skills in the Handbook, and remains a significant Trail to First Class requirement. Tying knots and lashings is more than historical “bushcraft”, as scouts practice physics, geometry, math and engineering when building construction projects. Pioneering is one of the STEM merit badges because of this!
Although it’s easier and more fun to learn pioneering knots and lashings at a troop meeting with your fellow Scouts, you can watch the videos below and practice with some rope and a few broom sticks. Gather up a few supplies and have a go!
- Demonstrate a practical use of the square knot.
- Demonstrate a practical use of two half-hitches.
- Demonstrate a practical use of the taut-line hitch.
- Demonstrate tying the sheet bend knot. Describe a situation in which you would use this knot.
- Demonstrate tying the bowline knot. Describe a situation in which you would use this knot.
- Discuss when you should and should not use lashings.
- Demonstrate tying the timber hitch and clove hitch.
- Demonstrate tying the square, shear, and diagonal lashings by joining two or more poles or staves together.
- Use lashings to make a useful camp gadget or structure
Knot Tying Videos
- Square Knot: https://youtu.be/Iou9zb0iP5I
- Clove Hitch: https://youtu.be/WFMm0zeWoSY
- Two Half Hitches: https://youtu.be/KgB2_lwB_dI
- Bowline: https://youtu.be/TETXOaK1Dag
- Sheet Bend: https://youtu.be/X7jv0Hd9F5A
- Tautline Hitch: https://youtu.be/H4rbBHp1QXo
- Timber Hitch: https://youtu.be/N7CRcyj7JEw
- Sheep Shank: https://youtu.be/q5KWxqQ7JFU
- American Whipping: https://youtu.be/QnJPqHlZZTA
- Half Knot Whipping: https://youtu.be/Z8kH6EybMSw
- Tripod Lashing: https://youtu.be/6aF50ddE71Q
- Shear Lashing: https://youtu.be/iwZjTdw9il0
- Diagonal Lashing: https://youtu.be/5PQe6FHSTVw
- Square Lashing: https://youtu.be/VxU9T0LyrUs
- Mark II Square Lashing: https://youtu.be/KYZIaqoCHSQ
- Pioneering Materials: https://youtu.be/nqq5imEoX2Y